Sharing a recipe that has been demanded by at least four friends, so far.
So, this is a modified version of the regular Apple Crumble/Apple Crisp recipe. A friend of Dad sends in mangoes from his Mango gardens in Sindh, every year. So we had plenty of them which I decided to put to use.
You can replace the mangoes with apples or peaches.
5 – 7
- Apples – 2 medium sized, thinly cut or mashed with a fork, enough to cover the base of a half 6.5″ x 10″ pan
- Mangoes (feel free to use apples or peaches, instead) – 1 large or two small sized, thinly cut or mashed with a fork, enough to cover the remaining half of the pan
- All purpose flour – 2.5 cups
- Butter – Softened, about 3/4 of a cup (Merely softened and not melted)
- Granulated white sugar – 1 cup (Adjust to taste. You can increase it to 1.5 – 2 cups)
- Cinnamon powder – 1 teaspoon
- Salt – Half teaspoon
- Vanilla essence – a few drops (optional)
- Green cardamom powder – a pinch (optional)
- Vanilla ice-cream (for serving it with at the end!)
- Preheat the oven to 170° C.
- Cover the pan-base with the mashed fruit(s).
- Take a separate container and mix all the ingredients except for the butter (and vanilla ice-cream).
- Now knife-cut the butter into small chunks and roll it over with the mixture in step 3, such that it turns into a crumbly mix. Make sure you don’t smooth it out.
- Cover the the fruit layer evenly throughout the pan with the crumbly mix.
- Bake for about 40 minutes or until the top is golden brown and voila!
- Serve warm/hot with vanilla ice-cream. (Crucial. Important. Probably the most essential step!!).
Alternatively you can serve it with whipped cream, but I’ve never tried that and probably never will – not my thing.
Please do share how you like it, if you try it out!